About Exchange Visitors
The J-1 classification (exchange visitors) is authorized for those who intend to participate in an approved program for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, receiving training, or to receive graduate medical education or training.
In carrying out the responsibilities of the Exchange Visitor Program, the Department of State designates public and private entities to act as exchange sponsors. J-1 nonimmigrants are therefore sponsored by an exchange program that is designated as such by the U.S. Department of State. These programs are designed to promote the interchange or persons, knowledge, and skills, in the fields of education, arts, and science.
Examples of exchange visitors include, but are not limited to:
- Professors or scholars
- Research assistants
- Nannies/Au pairs
- Camp counselors
Some J-1 nonimmigrants enter the United States specifically to work (as a researcher, nanny, etc.) while others do not. Employment is authorized for J-1 nonimmigrants only under the terms of the exchange program. Please check with your sponsoring agency for more information on any restrictions that may apply to you working in the United States.
Family of J-1 Visa Holders
Your spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age, regardless of nationality, are entitled to J-2 classification. Your spouse and children are entitled to work authorization; however, their income may not be used to support you.
Free Initial Review
Our Free Initial Review Service is the first step towards a solution for your US Immigration matter. We understand more than most what it is like dealing with US immigration authorities, navigating through the complex rules and regulations of US Immigration Rules.
Our Free Initial Review Service provides you with useful and practical support giving you an idea of the likely outcome of your application before informally instructing an immigration specialist.
Why you need a Free Initial Review?
- Peace of mind, you will reassured that your case is in the safe of hands of our immigration specialists.
- Our Free Initial Review Service provides you with you both useful and practical support giving you an idea of the most likely outcome of your application based on our years of experience and knowledge.
- Save both time and money, get the right information first time.
- You have nothing to lose by using our Free Initial Review Service as you stand to reduce your costs before the compilation of your case file.
- You will gain the personal support of an immigration specialist.