What is a B1 Business Visa?

Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. Visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily for business (visa category B-1), tourism, pleasure or visiting (visa category B-2), or a combination of both purposes (B-1/B-2).

Maximum duration of stay

180 Days

With a B-1 or B-2 Visa

90 days

With a Visa Waiver ESTA

Purpose of trips allowed under B1 Business Visa

  • Consulting with business associates
  • Travel for a convention or conference
  • Negotiating a contract

Aliens entering under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) are subject to the same rules as those admitted in B-1 or B-2 status – meaning they are not allowed to work!

You can stay up to 180 days

If you plan to stay more than 90 days in the USA, then you would need a regular B-1 or B-2 visa. Our Free Initial Review Service provides you with useful and practical support giving you an idea of the likely outcome of your application before informally instructing an immigration specialist.