Two groups of family based immigrant visa categories, including immediate relatives and family preference categories, are provided under the provisions of United States immigration law, specifically the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas (Unlimited):
These visa types are based on a close family relationship with a United States (U.S.) citizen described as an Immediate Relative (IR). The number of immigrants in these categories is not limited each fiscal year. Immediate relative visa types include:
* IR-1: Spouse of a U.S. Citizen – Learn More
* IR-2: Unmarried Child Under 21 Years of Age of a U.S. Citizen
* IR-3: Orphan adopted abroad by a U.S. Citizen – Learn More
* IR-4: Orphan to be adopted in the U.S. by a U.S. citizen – Learn More
* IR-5: Parent of a U.S. Citizen who is at least 21 years old.
Family Preference Immigrant Visas (Limited):
These visa types are for specific, more distant, family relationships with a U.S. citizen and some specified relationships with a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR). There are fiscal year numerical limitations on family preference immigrants, shown at the end of each category. The family preference categories are:
Family First Preference (F1):
Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their minor children, if any. (23,400)
Family Second Preference (F2):
Spouses, minor children, and unmarried sons and daughters (age 21 and over) of LPRs. At least seventy-seven percent of all visas available for this category will go to the spouses and children; the remainder is allocated to unmarried sons and daughters. (114,200)
Family Third Preference (F3):
Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children. (23,400)
Family Fourth Preference (F4):
Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children, provided the U.S. citizens are at least 21 years of age. (65,000)
Note: Grandparents, aunts, uncles, in-laws, and cousins cannot sponsor a relative for immigration.
Free Initial Review
Our Free Initial Review Service is the first step towards a solution for your US Immigration matter. We understand more than most what it is like dealing with US immigration authorities, navigating through the complex rules and regulations of US Immigration Rules.
Our Free Initial Review Service provides you with useful and practical support giving you an idea of the likely outcome of your application before informally instructing an immigration specialist.
Why you need a Free Initial Review?
- Peace of mind, you will reassured that your case is in the safe of hands of our immigration specialists.
- Our Free Initial Review Service provides you with you both useful and practical support giving you an idea of the most likely outcome of your application based on our years of experience and knowledge.
- Save both time and money, get the right information first time.
- You have nothing to lose by using our Free Initial Review Service as you stand to reduce your costs before the compilation of your case file.
- You will gain the personal support of an immigration specialist.